This set includes the brass Weems Stormglass plus an explanation plaque of the crystal formations. The stormglass mounts to the wood and brass plaque that can stand free or be wall-mounted. The wood and brass legend shows the five most common formations. The Weems Stormglass is a mysterious weather predictor that is sure to intrigue. Stormglass instruments have been in use since the 1750s. Admiral Fitzroy, the famous sailor and meteorologist, mounted an instrument similar to our stormglass on the mast of HMS Beagle as a storm warning instrument during his historic voyage with Darwin in the 1830s. The premise of the Weems Stormglass is that changing weather affects the solubility of the mixture of chemicals in the sealed glass tube. Some believe that the changes in crystal structures have to do with the electromagnetic changes caused by weather and sun storms.
- Predicts weather up to 48-hours in advance
- Crystals precipitate in unique formations based on impending weather
- Sealed glass chamber holds mysterious ingredients
- Polished brass cylinder
- Wood plaque with engraved brass legend of formations
- Includes mounting accessories for freestanding or wall display (base, mounting accessory, finial, & self-tapping screw)
- Avoid placement in extreme heat or direct sunlight