This set includes the Weems Chrome Stormglass plus an explanation plaque of the crystal formations. The stormglass mounts to a wood and black/chrome plaque that can stand free or be wall-mounted. The wood and metal plate legend shows the five most common formations. The Weems Chrome Stormglass is a mysterious weather predictor that is sure to intrigue. Stormglass instruments have been in use since the 1750s. Admiral Fitzroy, the famous sailor and meteorologist, mounted an instrument similar to the stormglass on the mast of HMS Beagle as a storm warning instrument during his historic voyage with Darwin in the 1830s. The premise of the stormglass is that changing weather affects the solubility of the mixture of chemicals in the sealed glass tube. Some believe that the changes in crystal structures have to do with the electromagnetic changes caused by weather and sun storms.
- Predicts weather up to 48-hours in advance
- Crystals precipitate in unique formations based on impending weather
- Sealed glass chamber holds mysterious ingredients
- Polished chrome cylinder
- Wood plaque with engraved silver-plated & black metal legend of crystal formations
- Includes mounting accessories for free standing or wall display (base, mounting accessory, finial, & self-tapping screw)
- Avoid placement in extreme heat or direct sunlight